The Lackawanna County Commission For Women is seeking entries for its annual Women’s History Month Bookmark Contest that is open to all seventh grade students enrolled in our area’s public and private school systems.
The goal of the contest is to broaden the students’ awareness of the contributions women have made to all segments of society. In years past, the efforts and contributions of such noteworthy females as Georgia O’Keeffe, Rosa Parks, 2nd Lt. Carol Ann Drazba and Jane Adams have been highlighted in award-winning designs.
Students are also encouraged to recognize women whose accomplishments may not be as well publicized as others, but who have made a substantial mark on society and the community-at-large.
The general guidelines for the program are as follows:
- The drawing can be done in any medium and must be 11” x 7” in size.
- It must reflect why the person or event is significant in Women’s History.
- A written description of 100 words or less must be submitted with the artwork.
- The submission must be typewritten, double-space or clearly printed in ink.
- A cover sheet must be included, highlighting the student’s name, teacher’s name and the school’s address and telephone number.
All entries will become property of the Lackawanna County Commission For Women and may be reproduced for publication and/or electronic media airing.
The entry deadline is Tuesday, March 19. All submissions should be sent to the Lackawanna County Commission For Women, 200 Adams Avenue, Scranton, PA 18503.
Works will be judged on: historical significance, design, layout, originality and clarity of content.
Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third places.
The winning entry will be reproduced as a bookmarker and distributed throughout the community.
For further information on the contest, contact Donna Barbetti, Commission President, at 570-346-2057, Ext. 207.