This electric car treasure will feature:
- Trolleys Exposed, an intriguing under-the-skin view of a restored trolley
- Interactive displays, where visitors will actually generate electricity and learn how this energy form is harnessed to serve our transportation needs.
- The Trolley Restoration Shop which offers visitors an opportunity to see and learn about ongoing restoration of the museum collection, from the rare turn of the century “open” car, to sleek, aerodynamically inspired interurbans.
- The “Electric City,” a hands-on interactive kids’ exhibit, that puts children in the drivers seat of a recreated open-style trolley car as they drive a mdel trolley on a suspended track. Young visitors and their parents will also have the opportunity to build their own anthracite region communities on a 24 foot-long platform that represents the Lackawanna Valley and beyond – complete with historic trolley lines.
- A 50-seat theater and other fascinating displays present the history of the extensive trolley network that, at one time, allowed residents of Northeastern Pennsylvania the opportunity to travel 75 miles on trolleys.
Tour The trolley excursion departs regularly from the main passenger platform of the Steamtown National Historic Site. The scenic route follows a portion of the former Lackawanna & Wyoming (Laurel Line) Railroad right-of-way as it parallels Roaring Brook and makes stops at the Historic Iron Furnaces and the north portal of the Crown Avenue Tunnel – one of the longest interuban tunnels ever built.
Due to possible unexpected changes in Trolley Excursion ride times we strongly advise that you call the Museum at 570-963-6590 to confirm times especially when travelling a distance.During the operating season, the trolley excursion will depart from the main passenger platform of the Steamtown National Historic Site and trips are scheduled at 10:30 AM, 12:00 NOON, 1:30 PM and 3:15 PM Thursday through Sunday. Please note that tickets for the trolley excursion are sold at the Trolley Museum building and are not available on the car. The trolley excursion boarding area is between the Trolley Museum building and the main Steamtown facilities.
On the following Sundays: June 19th, July 3rd, July 17th, Aug.7th, Aug. 14th, Sept. 4th and Sept. 18th our public trolley excursion times change to 10:30 & 1:30 due to transporting visitors to and from the baseball game at 12:15.
Please call the museum at (570) 963-6590 in advance to verify schedule hours or to inquire about chartering the trolley for a special excursion trip.
Museum Hours & Directions The trolley museum building will be open seven days a week from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM throughout the year. Except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Days. The entrance is at 300 Cliff Street, Scranton, PA 18503 on the grounds of the Steamtown National Historic Site adjacent to downtown. (Exit 185 off Interstate 81). Follow the signs to Steamtown and you can’t miss us!