Information On Applying For A Marriage License
BEFORE YOU START PLEASE NOTE:
- See list of requirement below and on our home page under “Applying for a Marriage License”.
- PA Consolidated Statute Title 23 requires a 3-day waiting period upon applicants’ appearance in the Marriage License Bureau*
- Application must be made within 60 days of the wedding date
- Marriage licenses are valid for 60 days from the issuance and may be used anywhere in the State of PA
- DO NOT APPLY unless you are within 60 days of your wedding date.
*Special exception for Military personnel can be extended. PRIOR to application call the Marriage License Bureau @ 570-963-6708 to make arrangements for this service
- Valid government issued photo ID (state drivers license, passport, or military ID)
- Knowledge of your Social Security number (you do not need the card)
- $70.00 in the following forms of payment, money order or personal check
- If you have been married before you will need a CERTIFIED COPY OF YOUR divorce DECREE with a Judges signature, or a Death certificate. (this applies to ALL couples that have been previously married)
Lackawanna County Government Center
123 Wyoming Avenue, Suite 521
Scranton PA 18503
Monday / Friday application time 9:30AM – 3:30PM
Please make sure you turn-off any pop-up blockers before you start. You will find this under “Tools” on your browser menu.
COMPLETION OF APPLICATION INFORMATION:
When you are ready to complete the application and submit to the county, click on the CONTINUE at the bottom of this screen. You can then begin entering your information. You must complete the information and submit it to the Marriage License Bureau OR save the information for a later time.
Important: Non-English speaking applicants, to ensure accurate applications, must make arrangements to have a court approved translator present during the application. In addition all foreign language documents are required to be translated in English prior to application. If you require assistance with this service or the names of such providers, please call the Marriage License Bureau at 570-963-6708.
AS OF JUNE 1997, BLOOD TESTS ARE NO LONGER REQUIRED
MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATION DISCLAIMER
This office will not determine what is/is not a church and/or congregation.
PLEASE BE ADVISED: If you choose to be married by someone other than officiates specifically listed and authorized by Pennsylvania law, the burden of proof regarding the legality (or lack thereof) of your marriage will be upon you should future issues arise that requires a determination of the marriage’s validity.
Effective January 1, 2006 COMMON LAW marriage is no longer valid in Pennsylvania